Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Amphitheater is Coming


This morning I attended the groundbreaking ceremony for Tuscaloosa's new amphitheater.

I expected to burn up since I had on a coat and tie, but there was a nice breeze blowing and it was very comfortable in the shade of the Hugh Thomas Bridge.

The amphitheater will seat 7,000 people and is expected to be open in time for the first football game of 2010.

There's been a bit of controversy around town lately concerning the existance of an amphitheater in Tuscaloosa. A guy named Mark Booth started a website called "Stop the Amp" in an attempt to gather support against the construction. However, the last time I checked, the poll on that website showed over 80% of voters were in support of having an amphitheater here in town. I think Mr Booth really wanted to run against our mayor in the upcoming election, but his hopes got kinda squashed.

So anyway, I'm pretty excited about this. It's really going to be something nice for Tuscaloosa.

Ya'll will have to come check us out when it opens!

No comments: