Monday, June 8, 2009

Gators, Mules, and Pork Chops

As usual, we ran around like crazy this weekend.

I had some dear friends from high school, Jodi & Kara, in town last week. They were here because their daughters are mascots for Clarke Prep in Grove Hill, and were attending camp at the Capstone. We had a great time catching up on old times and basically just doing nothing.

Friday night, the girls were being evaluated, so I joined Kara and Jodi in Coleman Coliseum to watch. It was hilarious! There were all sorts of mascots. Tigers, bears, eagles, a hornet, and even a red devil. They milled through the crowd and danced around on stage and basically did what mascots do... get the crowd involved. The gators both did great, and I hope they took home all sorts of awards Saturday morning. These pics were made with my phone so they are a bit blurred. Sorry.




Then Saturday, I got up and met Adam down at Southeastern Auctions for a nursery action. We've been down there before to the boat auctions, and I had shopped the nursery several times for various things. I think they are remodeling the nursery side, and needed to clean everything out. There were some great deals to be had. I ended up with a couple of apple trees and a couple of plum bushes. We were out there a couple of hours or so, then I paid for my items and headed home. I'm sure the auction went on all day. They were cleaning house!



When I got home, Heather was ready to start her day, so we rode over to Gordo to the annual Mule Day and Chicken Festival. We got there after the mule parade, but I know that it had occured, because the evidence was still in the streets.


We walked around and visited the vendors, and I realized that I was about to starve. So I got me a rib-eye sandwich from the Pickens County Cattlemen's Association and wolfed it down like I hadn't eaten in weeks. We ran into a couple of friends, Ansley and Tanner, who were there for the festivities as well, and hung out with them for a little while. Heather decided that she wanted a blooming onion. So I decided that I needed some chicken on a stick. The onion, although very slow in the making, was great. My chicken was kinda iffy. But I ate most of it anyway and we found us a spot in the shade to side and tore that onion up. My gosh, it was good!





Barney Fife was even making his rounds, keeping the streets of Gordo safe!



On the way back to the car, we stopped by Solid Rock Church's booth for homemade icecream! Wow! What better way to spend a hot June afternoon....

Shortly after we got home, Chris and Jessica called and invited over for dinner. I thought they were tied up with Chris' 20th High School reunion, but they had gotten done with all of that on Friday night. So we stopped at Publix and picked up a key lime pie, and headed over to their house. Chris grilled some pork chops, and we had squash and baked potatoes, and once again stuffed ourselves.

They have a wren who has built a nest in one of Jessica's hanging pots. Five little baby birds have hatched and those things sang just about the whole time. We sat out and watch that mama bird take care and feed her babies. And then Heather's random mind told us how birds reproduce. I'm not even going to go into that on here. If you wanna know, Google will be glad to tell you.

Sunday afternoon was veg-out time. We ate chili dogs for lunch. I do love a chili dog. Then we watched "Surfer Dude" with Matthew McConaughey, and did nothing the rest of the day.

Obviously nobody was concerned about losing weight this weekend. We are back on track today though.

Heather is home today. Hopefully the new Wii and Wii Fit is being delivered. That'll help with our waistlines. We shall see.

Hope you all have a good week.

No comments: