Friday, March 20, 2009

Fried Pies!

I know ya'll probably think that for somebody who is trying to lose weight on a low carb diet, I sure do eat a lot of stuff I'm not supposed to. Well, here I go again....

All my life I have loved fried apple pies. My grandmother used to make them all the time and they were one of Daddy's favorite things. Anytime we had any kind of gathering, whether holidays or church or family reunions or any other excuse to get together and eat, she always brought plates of fried pies. Mammaw made hers with lard, so they were greasy, and oh my goodness they were so good! She was known for those pies and she probably made thousands of them in her lifetime.

So let me just say that I did a really good thing when I married a girl who's Mama makes fried apple pies! Heather went down to Demopolis yesterday to visit and came back with a zip-lock bag full of happiness for your mouth. Or my mouth. I had 2 of them for supper. I knew they were coming because Heather drove her mother around Demopolis yesterday delivering pies to the sick, and I had looked forward to having some of them all day long. I'd show ya'll a picture, but somehow the pies disappeared before I got a chance to take one.

I called Heather's mom last night to thank her, and she has promised to teach me how to make them. I think that is a skill that needs to be passed on. I wish I had learned from my grandmother, but I had not discovered the joys of cooking back then. So Sue can teach me. And if you're nice to me I just might share!

Have a good weekend!

No comments: