Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Freaked Out!

I love this time of year because it's just right for sitting on the deck in the evenings. Unless it's raining, you can usually find us outside, and yesterday was perfect.

Hershey was out looking for lizards on the deck, when all of a sudden, she started going crazy over in one corner. There's this big iron candle holder thing over there and she was trying to get at something that was under the base of it. So I went over and moved it and thought that a lizard ran out from under it.

The whole time I was out there, Hershey was hunting that lizard. She sniffed and looked but neither of us saw another lizard.

That's because I don't think it was a lizard.

It was a damned snake!

If you know me, then you know how I feel about a snake. I can't watch them on TV or visit the reptile exhibit at the zoo or really just even think about snakes in general. They freak me out big time! That Snakes on a Plane movie just about did me in.

So imagine my response when Heather said "There's a snake" and pointed to the area of the deck in front of the den door! Thank goodness I had been too lazy to put up the shovel the last time I used it. It was leaning up against the deck, so I grabbed it and began to chop that snake into as many pieces as possible. Heather said I was ruining the deck, but at that moment, I could have cared less about that deck. The snake had to die!!!

I don't know what kind of snake it was. It was young though. Probably about 6 inches long or so. And you know what that means. There are more babies somewhere and a mama snake to go with them.

I don't know what I'm going to do about this, but I can't have snakes everywhere.

We may have to pack up and move.

1 comment:

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Oh.my.goodnesss. I too would've freaked! But I have to say, as weird as it is roaches scare me much more than snakes. I shudder anytime I see or think of one. Ok, change subject now...