Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankfulness

I don't know about ya'll, but sometimes I wonder how two people can be as busy as Heather and I are. Between both of our jobs, Heather teaching nursing students on Tuesdays at UAB, our various committee and board meetings, Alabama football on the weekends, and trying to keep in touch with family and friends, it seems we barely have time to sleep and eat. So this morning, I thought I'd take a few minutes and forget about all of that other "life stuff" and think about all the reasons I have to be thankful.

First and foremost, I am so extremely thankful for our families. God has blessed me from the beginning with a family that is loving, supportive, and generous. Having been adopted at the age of 6 weeks, I have always known that my life could have been so different, and I have always tried to keep that in perspective and be thankful. When Heather and I met and started dating, her family took me under their wing and accepted me as one of their own. I could not ever have asked for better in-laws. I am as close to them as I am my own family. We are especially thankful this year for them, because we almost lost my father-in-law, Terry, this year to a ruptured abdominal aneurism. By all medical laws, Terry should not be with us this Thanksgiving. His doctors and nurses have stressed that his recovery was not by their hands, but only the result of God and our prayers. He is the rock in that family, and I think that whole ordeal has reminded us to cherish and appreciate our parents more than ever before.

Every day I grow to be more thankful for Heather. It is amazing to look back at our lives and see how the sometimes crazy paths that we have led ended up making everything fall into place for us to be together. She has a full time job keeping me in line sometimes, but she hangs in there with me. We have fun together, and I really don't know what I would do without her.

I am also thankful that we have good jobs. So many people in this area are looking for jobs lately, but hopefully, UAB Health Systems and the City of Tuscaloosa will be around for the long haul, and we are blessed to work for people who care about us and want the best for us.

I have always been thankful for my friends. Many people have come and gone throughout my years of growing up and school, and now in our "settling down" stage, I appreciate those friends that have been there through thick and thin. There are always those who you think will be friends forever, but who, for whatever reason, tend to fade away through life's twists and turns. And then there are those who have always been there and who keep on being there, and who will always be there. Those friends are much fewer in number, but those are the ones who are the most treasured.

We will travel tomorrow. We did our baking yesterday and last night. We are heading down to my parents' house in Jackson, AL in the morning where we'll be getting together with Mama's side of the family, the Gibbs. Mama was one of 9 kids, so there will be a pile of us, and I am looking forward to seeing all the aunts and uncles and cousins. We are all just a little bit crazy, and we all have so much fun together. Then tomorrow afternoon, we will head back north to Demopolis to visit with Heather's family. Her brothers, Heath and Hess will be there with their families, and her brother Coroy and his family will be down from Memphis, so that should be fun. We also get to eat Thanksgiving in 2 places!!!

Friday afternoon we will start setting up our tailgate on the Quad for the Iron Bowl. If the rain cooperates, we will get the tents set up, the TV going, and will hang out with our friends and watch football all afternoon. Of course we will eat and drink more as well. Hershey will get to go on Friday. She loves the Quad.

Saturday will be ROLL TIDE ROLL day. We're all looking forward to that. Should be another long busy day of Alabama football. We Love It!!!!! I even have new red pants with elephants all over them to wear for the game.

I hope you all have a safe and wonderful Thankgiving, and I hope the next year brings you all more blessings than you can count.

No comments: