Monday, February 2, 2009

It was Super Sunday

I'm not really a fan of pro football. Never have been. I'm much more of a college level guy. But I do usually watch the Super Bowl if for no other reason than to see the commercials. I suspect that I'm not alone in that. But last night's game drew me in. It was actually a good game. And even though I haven't really followed either team, I found myself cheering for the Cardinals. So I was a little bit disappointed in the outcome, but not so much that I will need therapy or anything.

We went to Greensboro after lunch yesterday to Adam and Katie's. We knew that we wouldn't be staying there for the entire day, since Monday's are Heather's days to teach at the hospital this semester and she would need to be in bed early. So we went on down so we could eat all afternoon. I fixed this new chicken appetizer recipe that Mama saw on one of Paula Deen's shows last week. I'm not sure which show. Mama says it comes on the Food Network at 4:30 in the afternoons though. Anyway, it basically is bite-sized chicken breast wrapped in bacon and rolled in brown sugar and chili powder. It was time consuming, but I enlisted Heather's help and we got them made and in the oven without too much work. Trying to be carb-conscience, we used Splenda brown sugar instead of regular. The rest of the ingredients were no problem.

Katie made meatballs. She is expecting in April, and evidently had really been wanting some meatballs, since she has mentioned them several times in the last week or so. She made them with ground beef and ground sausage and cooked them in that bbq and grape jelly sauce. Then she had bought croissants to put them in. Mmmm. They were so good. I almost made myself sick. And yeah... we blew the low-carb diets for the day.

We also had conecuh sausage cooked on the grill, cheeses, and homemade guacamole that Adam fixed us. So we basically sat on their deck and grazed all afternoon while enjoying the beautiful weather. The dogs played and Aidan even pulled Hershey in a trailer behind his John Deere tractor (made by Power Wheels!). Hershey was not amused.

Right after we got there, Heather and Aidan walked across the street to the Dollar General. Aidan came back with a shiny new sword, and I will tell you this.... it was a dollar well spent. He carried that sword around for the rest of the day. The dogs were all terrorized, but he was highly entertained!

Later in the afternoon we took a break from the deck for some Mario Kart on the Wii. That actually kinda went on into the first quarter of the game.

Heather and I left after the 3-D part of half-time. So I missed seeing The Boss. I haven't heard anybody really saying anything tremendous about half-time though. So I guess we didn't really miss too much. We got home in time for the 4th quarter, and I watched it through the end of the game. Heather turned in a little earlier.

So it was a busy and tiring Super Sunday. But it was a great day. I could use a few more like it.

Here's the chicken recipe in case you're interested...

Sweet & Spicy Chicken Bites

4 boneless Chicken Breasts, cut into large cubes
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Pound of Bacon, sliced in halves
Salt to taste

Cut up the chicken and salt it. Then wrap the chicken pieces in bacon and secured with a toothpick. Combine the brown sugar and chili powder in a zip-lock bag and tos chicken wraps in it a few pieces at a time. Place on a greased cookie sheet and cook for 1 hour @350. Then transfer to a crockpot set on low to keep them hot.

Enjoy!

No comments: